Do you have dreams of traveling on a self-supported bicycle tour but don't have the experience to set off down the road? At Adventure Cycling, we're committed to inspiring and empowering people to travel by bike which is why we're offering two people, ages 18 - 30, the opportunity to attend an Adventure Cycling Intro to Road Touring course.
All applicants will receive a one-year membership to Adventure Cycling Association, which includes 9 issues of Adventure Cyclist, and a $10 Cyclosource gift certificate-- all just for applying!
The award covers:
- An Adventure Cycling Intro to Road Touring course, which includes meals and accommodations during the course.
- A $400 travel stipend to get you to and from the Intro to Road Touring course.
- A voucher from BikeFlights.com to get your bike to and from the course (only valid for travel within the U. S.).
- A new REI touring bicycle equipped with bike travel gear, such as Arkel panniers, and Big Agnes camping gear.
In short, you'll receive everything necessary to embark on a lifetime of bicycle-travel.
Upon completion of the Intro to Road Touring course, you will perform an outreach activity to promote bicycle travel. Examples of an outreach activity include:
- Lead a bike tour (an overnight or longer) open to your community.
- Lead a workshop or information session about bicycle travel.
- Create an advocacy project that promotes bicycle travel in your area.
- Inspire others to travel by bike through art, theater, writing, photography, or video, and share it with your community (in person or online).
- Create a bicycle route or bike travel resource that will inspire and help your peers.
You are encouraged to partner with a cycling or outdoor recreation organization that has the resources and audience to get you started. Be creative. Use social media to reach more people. Be specific. Adventure Cycling is looking for creative and achievable projects that will inspire other young adults to travel by bicycle.
Winners will be required to write two 300-500 word field reports to be posted on Adventure Cycling's blog: one about their experience taking their educational course and one about the outcome of their outreach project. An Adventure Cycling staff member will stay in touch with the recipients and provide resources to help along the way. Winners will also be asked to post about their course and project on social media with #jumpstartbiketravel and #adventurecycling in 2019.
The Greg Siple Award for Young Adult Bicycle Travel is open to U.S. citizens only. Applicants must be 18 – 30 years old on March 1, 2019.
All applications must be received by midnight (MST) December 31, 2018.
Finalists will be notified by February 8 and will be asked to submit a short video recording or do a live interview (no more than 2 minutes) in response to one interview question.
Winners will be notified by March 1, 2019.