Do you have some bike travel experience but want to hone your leadership skills to embark on a future as a leader in bike travel? At Adventure Cycling, we are committed to inspiring, empowering, and connecting people to travel by bike. As part of our mission, we're offering two people, ages 18-30, the opportunity to take an Adventure Cycling Leadership Training course and go on a self-contained tour of your choice (some exclusions apply and based on availability).
All applicants will receive a one-year membership to Adventure Cycling Association, which includes nine issues of Adventure Cyclist magazine, and a $10 Cyclosource gift certificate-- all just for applying!
The award covers:
- An Adventure Cycling Leadership Training Course, which includes meals and accommodations during the course
- A $500 travel stipend to get you to and from the Leadership Training course
- A voucher from BikeFlights.com to get your bike to and from the course (only valid for travel within the U.S.)
- A $100 gift certificate to Cyclosource to update your gear
- An Adventure Cycling self-contained tour of your choice up to $1,599 in value or $1,599 discount on a self-contained tour (some exclusions apply, transportation to and from the tour not included) within 18 months of taking the Leadership Training Course
In short, you will receive the skills and experience necessary to embark on a lifetime of bicycle travel leadership.
Upon completion of the Leadership Training Course, you'll perform an outreach activity to promote bicycle travel to youth and/or young adults in underrepresented communities including but not limited to: women, LBGTQI people, people of color, indigenous people, refugees, and people with disabilities. Examples of an outreach activity include:
- Lead a bike tour (an overnight or longer)
- Lead a workshop or information session about bicycle travel
- Create an advocacy project that promotes bicycle travel
- Inspire others to travel by bike through art, theater, writing, photography, or video, and share it (in person or online)
- Create a bicycle route or bike travel resource that will inspire others
You are encouraged to partner with a cycling or outdoor recreation organization that has the resources and audience to get you started. Be creative. Use social media to reach more people. Be specific. We are looking for creative and achievable projects that will inspire youth and/or young adults in underrepresented communities to travel by bike.
Winners will be required to write two 300-500-word field reports to be posted on Adventure Cycling's blog about their experience taking their educational course and the outcome of their outreach project. An Adventure Cycling staff member and a former winner of the award will stay in touch with the recipients and provide resources to help along the way. Winners will also be asked to post about their course and project on social media with #jumpstartbiketravel and #adventurecycling throughout 2020.
The Greg Siple Award for Young Adult Bicycle Travel is open to U.S. residents only. Applicants must be 18–30 years old on March 1, 2020.
All applications must be received by midnight (MST) December 31, 2019.
Finalists will be notified by February 7, 2020 and will be asked to submit a short video recording or do a live interview (no more than two minutes) in response to an interview question.
Winners will be notified by March 1, 2020.