Do you have dreams of traveling on a self-supported bicycle tour but don't have the experience to set off down the road? At Adventure Cycling, we're committed to inspiring, empowering, and connecting people to travel by bike. As part of our mission, we're offering two people, ages 18-30, the opportunity to attend an Adventure Cycling Intro to Road Touring course.
All applicants will receive a one-year membership to Adventure Cycling Association, which includes nine issues of Adventure Cyclist magazine, and a $10 Cyclosource gift certificate-- all just for applying!
The award covers:
- An Adventure Cycling Intro to Road Touring course, which includes meals and accommodations during the course
- A $500 travel stipend to get you to and from the Intro to Road Touring course
- A voucher from BikeFlights.com to get your bike to and from the course (only valid for travel within the U.S.)
- A new XXXX touring bicycle equipped with bike travel gear, such as Arkel panniers, and Big Agnes camping gear
In short, you'll receive everything necessary to embark on a lifetime of bicycle travel.
Upon completion of the Intro to Road Touring course, you will perform an outreach activity that promotes bicycle travel to youth and/or young adults in underrepresented communities including but not limited to: women, LBGTQI people, people of color, indigenous people, refugees, and people with disabilities. Examples of an outreach activity include:
- Lead a bike tour (an overnight or longer)
- Lead a workshop or information session about bicycle travel
- Create an advocacy project that promotes bicycle travel
- Inspire others to travel by bike through art, theater, writing, photography, or video, and share it (in person or online)
- Create a bicycle route or bike travel resource that will inspire others
You are encouraged to partner with a cycling or outdoor recreation organization that has the resources and audience to get you started. Be creative. Use social media to reach more people. Be specific. We're looking for creative and achievable projects that will inspire youth and/or young adults to travel by bike in underrepresented communities.
Winners will be required to write two 300-500 word field reports to be posted on Adventure Cycling's blog about their experience taking their educational course and the outcome of their outreach project. An Adventure Cycling staff member and a former winner will stay in touch with the recipients and provide resources to help along the way. Winners will also be asked to post about their course and project on social media with #jumpstartbiketravel and #adventurecycling in 2020.
The Greg Siple Award for Young Adult Bicycle Travel is open to U.S. residents only. Applicants must be 18–30 years old on March 1, 2020.
All applications must be received by midnight (MST) December 31, 2019.
Finalists will be notified by February 7 and will be asked to submit a short video recording or do a live interview (no more than two minutes) in response to one interview question.
Winners will be notified by March 1, 2020.