Position: Tours Customer Experience Specialist
Start Date: December 1
Salary: $36,000-$38,000, Full Time Temporary
Reports to: Tours Director
Position overview: Adventure Cycling Association seeks a well-organized, energetic, detail-oriented and outgoing individual to fill the role of Tours Customer Experience Specialist through October 31, 2022, and join its Tours team which plans, sells and manages more than 100 different bicycle tours and instructional courses annually. This customer service and administrative position is a challenging and fulfilling opportunity to work for North America's largest cycling membership non-profit organization. We seek an individual who thrives on interacting with others to share the joy of cycle travel.
Adventure Cycling serves through its members and the bike travel community. Our cycling community encourages and supports countless cyclists each year as they explore the beauty and history of America while tending to their mental and physical well-being. For nearly half a century, Adventure Cycling has created life-changing experiences that deepen appreciation for our country’s diverse cultures, communities, landscapes, and people. As the largest nonprofit cycling organization in the country, we have an impactful voice in policies and programs that advance the safety and accessibility of cycling. ACA headquarters are based in Missoula, MT, and we acknowledge and honor the Indigenous peoples who consider this land their home. The area’s natural abundance was stewarded by many peoples including the Blackfeet, Crow, Shoshone, Cheyenne, and Salish for millennia before colonization, and continues to be to this day.
Commitment to Diversity, Equity and Inclusion:
The Staff and Board of Directors of Adventure Cycling Association believes in the power of bicycle travel to open minds and change the way the world explores. We envision a future where this organization draws staff, tour leaders, members, board members, and riders from the whole of our society. For this to occur, bicycle travel has to be available for everyone.
We are committed to listening to BIPOC, LGBTQ, and other marginalized peoples and understanding the systems contributing to oppression while also working to provide more resources and support for these communities.
The Adventure Cycling Association acknowledges its place in this power dynamic. As an organization we have benefitted from white privilege omnipresent in the United States and must use our power to hire, support, empower, and create safe spaces for Black, Indigenous and People of Color, LGBTQIA+, and Femme/Trans/Women communities.
As a staff member in the Tours Department, the Tours Customer Experience Specialist will have primary roles in customer experience, working with Adventure Cycling Members and Participants to give them the resources they need to take an adventure of a lifetime. The person will work with other members of the Tours team to:
- Develop a thorough knowledge of our travel offerings;
- Provide sales and support for persons interested in participating in Adventure Cycling tours including trip inquiries, registration, and payment transactions through the following mediums:
- Phone – Daily office-hour calls and manage and delegate after-hours phone inquiries;
- Email – Responding to email inquiries as well as web based form inquiries;
- Internet Chat – Utilize online chat platform;
- Using Adventure Cycling’s Cancellation and Transfer Policy as a guideline, respond to customer inquiries about cancellation and transfer requests, including requests outside of policy;
- Provide in-person customer service for customers visiting the Adventure Cycling headquarters;
- Manage, support, and evaluate post-tour customer survey results;
- Work alongside Tour Operations Specialists to distribute tour information to participants, including information packets, surveys, and other necessary reminder emails. Assist with creation and finalization of these materials as needed;
- Understanding and willingness to engage with issues of institutional and structural racism or bias and their impacts on our organization and community.
- Commitment to equity and inclusion and to learn and respect differences of race, ethnicity, gender identity or expression, ability, religion and socio-economic circumstances and class.
- Customer service and administrative experience
- Excellent team player, who enjoys working with others
- Enthusiastic about the outdoors and outdoor recreation, especially cycling
- Exceptional customer service skills
- Ability to work in a fast-paced, multi-tasked, quick response environment
- Outstanding written and oral communication skills
- Excellent organizational skills
- Proficiency in working with all Google Suite Applications (Docs, Sheets, Drive, Calendar, Sites) and Microsoft Access, Excel, and Word
- Detail orientated self-starter with proven decision making and problem solving ability; leader who can collaborate with colleagues and partners.
- Experience working with people very different from yourself
- Solo or group multi-day cycle travel experiences
- Guiding experience encouraged
- Prior experience in outdoor adventure travel and tourism
Elements of job duties may require occasional moving of up to 50 pounds and the ability to occasionally stoop, kneel or crouch; candidates not able to meet such demands can possibly work with staff or others to make accommodations.
Compensation, Schedule and Benefits:
This is a full time, temporary position (average 40 hrs/week) through October 31, 2022. Schedule varies by supervisor, but is generally M-F, 8am-5pm MST. We are located at Adventure Cycling’s headquarters in beautiful and bike-friendly Missoula, Montana. Benefits include paid time off, holidays, an additional fully paid one-week bike vacation (a.k.a. “bike respite”), medical, dental, and vision coverage, life insurance, and retirement plan. We have a wonderful office in downtown Missoula, with plenty of bike racks! Adventure Cycling Association is an equal opportunity employer. Some optional travel and weekend work may be available.
Salary range: $36,000 - $38,000.
How to apply:
Please submit a resume and cover letter through www.submittable.com – Tours Customer Experience Specialist. Please answer the following question in the last paragraph of your cover letter: “Describe why inclusive and accessible opportunities in the outdoors are important to you?”