Position Director of Data and Technology
Start Date: December 1
Position Open Until Filled
Position overview: Adventure Cycling Association seeks an experienced, energetic, detail-oriented professional to direct the organization’s data and technology strategy. The successful candidate will be a team builder and leader with successful experience in AMS/CRM systems, API management, data services, database and website administration, and content management systems.
Adventure Cycling is currently assessing its technology stack. A key part of this job will be guiding Adventure Cycling to a new generation of technology infrastructure.
Adventure Cycling serves through its members and the bike travel community. Our cycling community encourages and supports countless cyclists each year as they explore the beauty and history of America while tending to their mental and physical well-being. For nearly half a century, Adventure Cycling has created life-changing experiences that deepen appreciation for our country’s diverse cultures, communities, landscapes, and people. As the largest nonprofit cycling organization in the country, we have an impactful voice in policies and programs that advance the safety and accessibility of cycling. ACA headquarters are based in Missoula, MT, and we acknowledge and honor the Indigenous peoples who consider this land their home. The area’s natural abundance was stewarded by many peoples including the Blackfeet, Crow, Shoshone, Cheyenne, and Salish for millennia before colonization, and continues to be to this day.
Commitment to Diversity, Equity and Inclusion:
The Staff and Board of Directors of Adventure Cycling Association believes in the power of bicycle travel to open minds and change the way the world explores. We envision a future where this organization draws staff, tour leaders, members, board members, and riders from the whole of our society. For this to occur, bicycle travel has to be available for everyone. We are committed to listening to BIPOC, LGBTQ, and other marginalized peoples and understanding the systems contributing to oppression while also working to provide more resources and support for these communities.
The Adventure Cycling Association acknowledges its place in this power dynamic. As an organization we have benefitted from white privilege omnipresent in the United States and must use our power to hire, support, empower, and create safe spaces for Black, Indigenous and People of Color, LGBTQIA+, and Femme/Trans/Women communities.
The Director of Data and Technology has direct leadership over our Data Systems and IT Infrastructure with additional oversight of technology related process improvement projects throughout the organization. The Director of Data and Technology will be responsible for improving and managing the systems, business applications and tools for internal use and external communications. This is a highly influential and impactful role where collaboration is essential to success. Working with the leadership team, the Director of Data and Technology will develop a data and technical strategy that supports Adventure Cycling’s mission and key priorities. We are seeking a collaborative contributor with broad, hands-on technical, process improvement and project management skills to lead Adventure Cycling through our next stage of growth. Equally as important is experience inspiring and developing employees, and creating a great work environment where the best come to work and stay.
- IT Strategy and Oversight of technical projects in alignment with organizational goals. Develop IT strategy and establish principles for when the organization should build vs. buy. Research, recommend, and implement new products and solutions.
- Lead the IT team and oversee daily operations of the IT department: Provide direction, guidance and training for IT staff (3). Supervise internal team, as well as manage external vendors and contractors. Schedule, organize, and assign projects to members of the IT team.
- Implement and optimize a new AMS platform to integrate email and marketing automation, fundraising, eCommerce, advocacy, member engagement and volunteer management to effectively engage and expand our community.
- Oversight of APIs Integrate third party systems, such as geospatial mapping database, into our website and mobile app (Bicycle Route Navigator).
- Identify and hire a MSP for helpdesk, network and infrastructure support and migration to the cloud.
- Oversight of Mobile Application presence Works closely with the Routes Director and contracted Mobile App developer to ensure compliance with app stores and that technology choices are aligned with organizational goals.
- Manage our website and data analytics Develop and maintain website features that effectively support the organization's communications strategy. Oversee implementation and operation of analytics for web and campaign performance.
- Develop and chair a data governance group to steer the ongoing process of data governance, including approving new software and integrations, overseeing data hygiene, leading knowledge management and addressing data privacy issues.
- Proactively evaluate and identify improvements to IT processes. Incorporates innovative solutions and best practices to create more efficient and effective support for the organization and to bring us into alignment with industry best practices.
- Inform and provide consultation on UX, CX for digital journeys (website and app).
- Prepare department and project budgets and present proposals for investment projects to leadership.
- Proven ability to assess business needs and translate into technology solutions and implementation plans.
- Experience with change management, assessing existing processes and systems, identifying new solutions, communicating and implementing new processes or systems.
- Data-driven decision making and excellent analytical skills. Provide recommendations grounded in best practices, data, and insights.
- Broad technical expertise that will inspire and encourage creative, collaborative problem solving.
- Proficient in AMS systems, CRM, database and data storage, and e-commerce systems.
- Strong understanding of software design patterns and programming best practices.
- Experience with Object-oriented programming and MVC frameworks.
- Experience with Cloud computing systems such as AWS and EC2.
- Strong interpersonal and presentation skills. Quickly builds rapport and credibility with all levels of the organization.
- Understanding and willingness to engage with issues of institutional and structural racism or bias and their impacts on our organization and community.
- Commitment to equity and inclusion and to learn and respect differences of race, ethnicity, gender identity or expression, ability, religion and socio-economic circumstances and class.
- Demonstrated experience in vendor evaluation and contract negotiation.
- Proven results as business leader, providing value beyond traditional IT to cross-functional areas.
- Seamlessly move between setting a strategy and executing/implementing tactical solutions.
- Experience using APIs to integrate third party systems into the website.
- Experience working with people very different from yourself.
- Candidates should have a broad understanding of and experience with the technology needs of nonprofits, including fundraising, membership management, marketing and eCommerce.
- 5+ years experience managing an IT or Digital and Data Strategy department. Experience with change management, assessing existing processes and systems, identifying new solutions, communicating and implementing new processes or systems.
Compensation, Schedule and Benefits:
This is a full time, exempt position (average 40 hrs/week). The salary is $75,000. Schedule varies by supervisor, but is generally M-F. Opportunity to work from home part-time if desired. We are located at Adventure Cycling’s headquarters in beautiful and bike-friendly Missoula, Montana. Benefits include paid time off, holidays, an additional fully paid one-week bike vacation (a.k.a. “bike respite”), medical, dental, and vision coverage, life insurance, and retirement plan. We have a wonderful office in downtown Missoula, with plenty of bike racks! Adventure Cycling Association is an equal opportunity employer.
How to apply:
Please send your resume and cover letter to www.submittable.com – Director of Data and Technology. Please answer the following question in the last paragraph of your cover letter: "Describe why inclusive and accessible opportunities in the outdoors are important to you?"