Do you have some bike travel experience but want to hone your the leadership skills to embark on a future as a leader in bike travel? At Adventure
Cycling, we're committed to inspiring and empowering people to travel by
bike which is why we're offering two people, ages 18 - 30, the opportunity to take an Adventure Cycling Leadership Training course and go on a self-contained tour of your choice (some exclusions apply and based on availability).
All applicants will receive a one-year membership to
Adventure Cycling Association, which includes 9 issues of Adventure
Cyclist, and a $10 Cyclosource
gift certificate-- all just for applying!
The award covers:
- An Adventure Cycling Leadership Training Course, which includes meals and accommodations during the course.
- A $400 travel stipend to get you to and from the Leadership Training course.
- A $200 credit from BikeFlights.com to get your bike to and from the Intro to Road Touring course.
- A $100 gift certificate to Adventure Cycling's Cyclosource catalog to update your gear and an ABUS bike lock.
- An Adventure Cycling self-contained tour of your choice (some exclusions apply, transportation to and from the tour not included) within 18 months of taking the Leadership Training Course.
In short, you'll receive the skills and experience necessary to embark on a lifetime of bicycle-travel leadership.
Upon completion of the Leadership Training Course, you will perform an outreach activity to promote bicycle travel. Examples of an outreach activity include:
- Lead a bike tour (an overnight or longer) open to your community.
- Lead a workshop or information session about bicycle travel.
- Create an advocacy project that promotes bicycle travel in your area.
- Inspire others to travel by bike through art, theater, writing, photography, or video and share it with your community (in person or online).
- Create a bicycle route or bike travel resource that will inspire and help your peers.
You are encouraged to partner with a cycling or outdoor recreation organization that has the resources and audience to get you started. Be creative. Use social media to reach more people. Be specific. Adventure Cycling is looking for creative and achievable projects that will inspire other young adults to travel by bicycle.
Winners will be required to write two 300-500 word field reports to be posted on Adventure Cycling's blog: one about their experience taking their educational course and one about the outcome of their outreach project. An Adventure Cycling staff member will stay in touch with the recipients and provide resources to help along the way. Winners will also be asked to post about their course and project on social media with #jumpstartbiketravel and #adventurecycling throughout 2018.
The Greg Siple Award for Young Adult Bicycle Travel is open to U.S. citizens only. Applicants must be 18 – 30 years old on March 1, 2018.
All applications must be received by midnight (EST) December 31, 2017.
Finalists will be notified by February 9 and will be asked to submit a short video recording or do a live interview (no more than 5 minutes) in response to 1-2 interview questions.
Winners will be notified by March 1, 2018.